Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Parenting skills


I would like to take some time in the next few weeks to learn more about parenting techniques and styles. I think it’s the most important thing we’ve talked about so far in this class. How we raise our children matters so much in every way. 

Authoritarian Parenting: In this style of parenting, children are expected to follow the strict rules established by the parents. Failure to follow such rules usually results in punishment. Authoritarian parents fail to explain the reasoning behind these rules. If asked to explain, the parent might simply reply, "Because I said so." These parents have high demands, but are not responsive to their children. According to Baumrind, these parents "are obedience- and status-oriented, and expect their orders to be obeyed without explanation"

Children raised by authoritarian parents tend to lash out and rebel more than others during their teenage years. 

I believe all actions need to have consequences. However; I also strongly believe that all consequences need to be explained thoroughly and understood by the child. That’s only fair. 

Personally, I disagree with this way of parenting for the reasons listed above. I believe it’s confusing and unfair to the child.  

No comments:

Post a Comment